Derrick Schommer

Subscribers climb while views languish...beating head on wall lol

I figured I'd toss this out there and whine a bit with my peers so you can all tell me how you're experiencing the same thing :-) So, in a strange irony I've had 2x subscriber growth since around December yet my views languish. I've got 99,214 subscribers and it doesn't excite me at all...because I can barely get new videos to break 800 views per video.

What is with that? How can you gain 3,000 subscribers+ each month and your views stagger and sit at 800 for a new video release. I can't even use analytics to grasp at a clue. Of course, Youtube's subscriber analytics just tell me what I already know: I'm getting subscribers from the main channel page (but no 'referrer' of where they actually entered on) and a bunch from the "real time analytics" last 48-hour video views (all the top ranked videos on the channel).

As far as I can tell, all our hottest videos gain the largest bulk of subscribers yet those subscribers never seem to go on to watch any other recent content. It blows my mind. In short, want more subscribers? Get a few videos that rank well. Just don't expect viewership from them. :/

Okay, done rant :)

I often wonder what goes through peoples' minds when they subscribe to a channel. When I sub to someone, generally I am pretty interested in what I saw and want more, and thus I watch more. My channel is on a much smaller scale than yours but I notice a similar phenomenon. It feels like only a very small percentage of those monthly subscriber numbers I accrue are converting into actual views.

@amackert and, of course, when I see a cocktail channel that started in 2016 already having 250k+ subs and 50k per views on each video I wonder...what was the magic sauce. I know they got big pop from being featured on some high end blog because they did a non-practical but "visually cool" ice experiment and that got them a huge metric but ton of subscribers...but those subs keep watching.

I think because I gained mine over a 10 year period that those whom did watch each episode 5 years ago just no longer are interested (or even use their account) and didn't unsubscribe when they lost interest...they just stopped watching. So, the "active" subscriber count is much less than the total subscriber count. But, youtube doesn't breakout user activity as a metric so I can't tell.

On 2/21/2018 at 11:49 AM, Derrick Schommer said:

...Of course, Youtube's subscriber analytics just tell me what I already know: I'm getting subscribers from the main channel page (but no 'referrer' of where they actually entered on) and a bunch from the "real time analytics" last 48-hour video views (all the top ranked videos on the channel)....

This is interesting to me. I don't get a whole lot of subscribers, but I've noticed that since YouTube made its change to how it counts subscribers (in mid September 2017), most of my subscriber gains started being "correctly" classified to watch page rather than channel page -- so I thought part of the change was that YouTube was being a little more judicious in tracking "referrers" vs pre-Sept 2017.

(In fact, because of that, when I had a spike in subscribers to "other" as a source, I immediately discounted these subscribers...it's just so atypical.)

So, I don't really have anything that can help, but it's interesting that you are still seeing most subscribers come from the channel page in your Subscribers report.

4 hours ago, subversiveasset said:

This is interesting to me. I don't get a whole lot of subscribers, but I've noticed that since YouTube made its change to how it counts subscribers (in mid September 2017), most of my subscriber gains started being "correctly" classified to watch page rather than channel page -- so I thought part of the change was that YouTube was being a little more judicious in tracking "referrers" vs pre-Sept 2017.

(In fact, because of that, when I had a spike in subscribers to "other" as a source, I immediately discounted these subscribers...it's just so atypical.)

So, I don't really have anything that can help, but it's interesting that you are still seeing most subscribers come from the channel page in your Subscribers report.

I just wish more would actually WATCH content :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Derrick Schommer said:

I think because I gained mine over a 10 year period that those whom did watch each episode 5 years ago just no longer are interested (or even use their account) and didn't unsubscribe when they lost interest...they just stopped watching. So, the "active" subscriber count is much less than the total subscriber count. But, youtube doesn't breakout user activity as a metric so I can't tell.

This is the exact situation with my channel too. Unfortunately new channels have left old channels far behind despite of the content quality, in many cases. ☺

3 hours ago, Dr Nepal - Binaural Beats said:

This is the exact situation with my channel too. Unfortunately new channels have left old channels far behind despite of the content quality, in many cases. ☺

Having "Fresh subscribers" definitely helps because you know they're going to be more active than 8 year old subs that are long gone :(

11 hours ago, Derrick Schommer said:

Having "Fresh subscribers" definitely helps because you know they're going to be more active than 8 year old subs that are long gone :(

Ture, But did you notice, new channel for some reasons gets more chance of exposure and attract subscribers than the old channels? I have other new channels doing pretty good comparatively for the very similar content type. It may be better sometime to branch out with similar but more specialized contents to the new channel.

On 2/23/2018 at 9:06 AM, Dr Nepal - Binaural Beats said:

Ture, But did you notice, new channel for some reasons gets more chance of exposure and attract subscribers than the old channels? I have other new channels doing pretty good comparatively for the very similar content type. It may be better sometime to branch out with similar but more specialized contents to the new channel.

That can be true, yeah, because they have no long historic trends to predict from...but that doesn't mean a new channel is going to be easy to do...it's still a ton of work.

I think my problem is getting people to subscribe. I have over 4000 minutes of watch time for non-subscribers and way below that for people actually subscribed. Any tips?

1 hour ago, Seth Terwilliger said:

I think my problem is getting people to subscribe. I have over 4000 minutes of watch time for non-subscribers and way below that for people actually subscribed. Any tips?

Do you ask people to subscribe in each video? If so, at what point do you ask? Asking at the end is not going to be as effective.

Look at your average audience retention numbers, if you're average member watches a video for 3 minutes and your videos are 8 minutes long, don't ask at minute 8. Ask at minute 2.5

Perhaps a possible reason is due to the nature of your content. Maybe people come to your channel searching for one type of beverage, they like it and subscribe, but don't need any new beverages or aren't very active in beverage making/don't have a need for it very often so they don't watch new videos.

But the newer channel you described 50k views per video which goes against this reasoning. Does that channel consistently do experiment type visual videos, or more your content?

I guess this could also be true for gaming content, but those viewers likely want entertainment and will return more likely. Though I'm not sure about people who subscribed specifically from my update or tutorial videos. I guess I'll just have to make a variety of content, while still making low viewed gameplay videos as I am trying to build up that part of my channel as I feel it will be more sustainable to have a channel based on that where subscribers are looking more for general entertainment from me, rather than the quickest update videos of video games or niche tutorial videos for another game.

6 hours ago, AAAA said:

Perhaps a possible reason is due to the nature of your content. Maybe people come to your channel searching for one type of beverage, they like it and subscribe, but don't need any new beverages or aren't very active in beverage making/don't have a need for it very often so they don't watch new videos.

But the newer channel you described 50k views per video which goes against this reasoning. Does that channel consistently do experiment type visual videos, or more your content?

Yep, they do the same style of content. And, it's not the host / personalities in the video because ...well, simple reasoning being if you didn't like the personalities or hosts you'd not subscribe in the first place