Sign in to follow this  
Derrick Schommer

New Youtube upload workflow, forcing monetization to be enabled on each video

I've been put into some experimental group, it confused the heck out of me for awhile, but apparently every video I upload now has to be monetized manually during upload (or after). Even though my upload defaults are already setup. Why? This support page: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/7670843?hl=en

"We’re experimenting with a new monetization upload flow with a small group of creators. This update asks you to manually monetize each video and confirm that you believe the video meets our advertiser-friendly guidelines. This updated flow is only available in Creator Studio Classic. 

While creators typically upload many videos that are suitable for a broad set of advertisers, there may be some videos that aren’t appropriate. By reviewing your video against the guidelines each time you upload, you’ll help ensure a healthy monetization ecosystem and give advertisers the confidence to invest in our amazing community of creators."

I indeed left them feedback explain how dumb this is... because people don't know how to use monetization appropriately that means more work for me? My suggestion is during "on boarding" (when they reach enough to get monetization) they should have to sign something or at least acknowledge that the understand how monetization works and will use it appropriately...not make more work for me because some people are idiots, lol.

• Like 1

@Derrick Schommer The idea is that you tell YouTube explicitly that your video is ad friendly, which will cause it to never get demonetized by a bot. 

See also: 

19 hours ago, Leo Wattenberg said:

@Derrick Schommer The idea is that you tell YouTube explicitly that your video is ad friendly, which will cause it to never get demonetized by a bot. 

See also: 

The idea sucks, it's more work and it is hidden on a separate tab and does not conform to traditional workflows.

How about this... they send all youtube partners through a course/certification that approves them to make this a default operation and it won't be default until you take the course and are certified as "understanding." Teach once, use many :-)

It probably is to make the creator of the video more liable for non-advertiser friendly material, as they wouldn't have the excuse of saying that they automatically monetize all their videos. I don't see why there is a need for this though. What's stopping YouTube from punishing people with auto-monetization? Maybe it is to make advertisers feel better.

You mentioned a course which could be good. One has to complete it before being able to monetize, though this presents a problem if YouTube can't translate it into many languages. Though, I don't think any of the Elsa superhero needle attack weird video creators would be deterred.

For the record, I posted a video last week "The Suffering Bastard" tiki cocktail and was forced to hit monetization as is the "new normal" and it still got demonetized by the bot immediately upon publication. It then sat "pending review" for about 3 days, finally was overturned but by then the video views were already done (as the first three days gets the most views) so I made around $0.84 cents on the video.

Of course, if this video ever gets listed in top searches eventually it may make more, but I lost 3x-10x the possible money in the video due to the bot incorrectly demonetizing the video. And that, my friends, is why larger youtubers with millions of views get pissed off :) For me, it's just a few dollars lost.

@Derrick SchommerWhy don't you upload your videos as unlisted / private and only after the the review is through you publish the Video?

On 5/1/2018 at 8:06 PM, Paco said:

@Derrick SchommerWhy don't you upload your videos as unlisted / private and only after the the review is through you publish the Video?

I publish every other day or so, the video is uploaded (as private) and once it's done rendering and I get my metadata setup right, I set to scheduled. A few days later it goes live...then it's slapped down as unmonetized. Up until then, it's "green icon" all the way. So, I think that's a long answer way of saying "I do." ?