fatchancegaming

New channel feedback

Hi Guys,

My name's Ben, I'm new to Creatorshub and have very recently started up my own Youtube gaming channel. I've done a huge amount of research both before getting started and since getting my channel under way. The aim of my channel is really just for entertainment purposes, I spent a lot of my late childhood watching Youtubers play some of my favourite video games so I thought I'd give it a go and hopefully give some kids some awesome memories watching someone play their favourite games, as I did.

Now I completely understand that I'm operating in a saturated market with a countless number of creators doing a similar thing to me, but I'm starting to get a little disheartened as I can't seem to get a single view on any of my videos. Currently I've only put out 3 videos, but my most popular has 24 views, and I'm 99% sure every single one of those views is from me while editing, adding cards etc. (I've since tweaked how I do things to make sure this is all as I want it before the video gets published). I think my tags are right for my genre, video descriptions are alright and I'm pretty impressed with my thumbnails (100% self taught in photoshop as part of the research I did prior to launching my channel).

I'm not expecting a lot of views, especially so early on, but 0? I know I need to get my content out there, and I'm a bit too proud to promote on Facebook or to my friends because of the fact I'm not getting any views, I'm a bit worried about people I know making fun of me so early on. My question is, what other strategies have you guys used that have been succuessful? My only subscriber currently is my Fiance and I've had her like my videos and even comment on one to try and get any activity on my videos at all. But of course I need more than that to make my video discoverable by anyone. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'd also love any feedback, positive but more importantly constuctive on my video content. It is video game streaming so a very niche viewer base. I feel more and more confident with every video I publish and I understand the quality is certainly nowhere near where it needs to be to be able to build any sort of following, but I know that will only improve as I become more practiced. Again, any feedback is very much appreciated, thanks so much for taking the time to read about my situation!

Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKoUcRQEWrWkRzFmKgyH_A

PS. I do have a plan to set up a channel trailer once I've got a few more videos and some more entertaining content I can pull from them for my trailer.

Hey @fatchancegaming, happy to have you on the board.

What came first, the chicken or the egg? To be discovered on youtube you need to produce watch-time on the platform for the algorithms to pick you up. But you also need to be in the recommendation system to get new viewers and produce watch-time. The only solution is to kickstart your channel with external traffic. And you need to get ride of you false pride. You DO need the help of your friends and family. The first fans of any artist or creator EVER have always been friends and family. Show your content around. Maybe invite them to join you in the videos to get them more engaged because they feel included in the channel.

Also very important for the early growth of a channe is collaboration with other creators. Try to find other creators with a similar size and content and make videos with them on a regular basis. That will drive viewers from each other to the channel of the other and you will both grow. (A prime example of this is Jake and Logan Paul or the Sideman from the UK)

And the last tip I got for you: be unique, do something unique. Innovate the style of content you are doing. A prime example of this is what Casey Niestet did to the vlog genre on YouTube. He did something completely new and he did it well.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Paco! Really appreciate you taking to time to give me some advice. I think I'll need to start with choosing a select few friends who I feel might be most supportive and going from there.

Need to get my creative cap on and try and add my own twist to my content. I knew this would be important, and I'm not actually very skilled when it comes to video games, certainly below average anyway so I think I need to try and use this to my advantage, and target other gamers that perhaps aren't so good.

Thanks for the input!

On 5/27/2018 at 10:06 PM, fatchancegaming said:

Now I completely understand that I'm operating in a saturated market with a countless number of creators doing a similar thing to me, but I'm starting to get a little disheartened as I can't seem to get a single view on any of my videos. Currently I've only put out 3 videos, but my most popular has 24 views, and I'm 99% sure every single one of those views is from me while editing, adding cards etc. (I've since tweaked how I do things to make sure this is all as I want it before the video gets published).

It is video game streaming so a very niche viewer base. I feel more and more confident with every video I publish and I understand the quality is certainly nowhere near where it needs to be to be able to build any sort of following, but I know that will only improve as I become more practiced.

Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPKoUcRQEWrWkRzFmKgyH_A 

You did mention "video game streaming", and your videos are one hour + long,  along with the " Live chat replay is not available for this video. " text appearing on the video, I am guessing your livestream your videos. I am not sure if you do this to try and be a livestreamer and interact with fans and stuff like that live, or if it is just a convenient way of recording gameplays which can be longer. Perhaps even both.

I have tried livestreaming a couple of times and it is pretty difficult, though maybe I wasn't committed enough. I would get 1 viewer at a time sporadically, going without viewers for a while.

I am not sure how one is supposed to start gaining viewers livestreamning a game with many livestreamers, like Fortnite or COD: WWII, as there is a lot of content and the chances of a viewer finding your video is reduced, though quality should hopefully make a difference.

If part of your intention is also for people to watch your videos after the livestream, I think one barrier between you and viewers may be the video length. Maybe I am not updated with the gaming video trends, but I haven't seen too many gaming videos that long, though I could be wrong. Maybe you will find more success with some smaller videos, maybe highlights? I haven't played too much COD: WWII, so I don't know how long the matches are. The highlights and stuff may be harder as they need some editing and it may be hard to trim down your content.

My first few subscribers were either people I knew in real life, or other players on games I've played that I asked to check my channel out. I do not know if I would do those things again. However,  I don't think any of them are active on my channel, and my channel has grown a bit. For the last 365 days, 99% of my watch time has been from non-subscribers, 0.7% from subscribers. 100% of views from non-subscribers, and 0.5% from subscribers. So I think the initial subscribers may have not done much for my channel (or maybe people are more likely to subscribe if they see a higher subscriber count? I'm in the double digits though, so not very high).

Maybe you could play and use your mic in games and if you make a friend, ask them to check out your videos and let you know what they think?

I'm not sure what the right/most effective course of action is, I am also trying to get views. My most watched video (5k) was a short tutorial on a not massively popular game, Gang Beasts. I was fortunate and made the video when there was no other tutorial (that I can find) showing what I did, and it had gained a good bit of the views even before I had added a thumbnail, though I think the thumbnail is helping.

My gameplay videos are not as successful, I play a range of games also though. 9 views (NBA LIVE game), 1 view (gameplay of smaller/less known game),   587 views (Gang Beasts tutorial), 4 & 2 & 1 & 4 on some gameplay. So I haven't found the trick or recipe for success for gameplays, though maybe it is just consistency and quality plus being fortunate.

Also, for the title on your latest video which is: "Call is Duty: WWII Multiplayer Ep 3 - What happened to Ben?!", I have a recommendation. Maybe put the hook or action phrase at the start of the title so it is more noticeable. I am not sure if that is better, but maybe it can capture someone's attention better. Especially since part of the title is cut off on your videos page, and maybe also when recommended on the side, it's cut off at right after "to". Also, I think you might have a typo with Call "is" Duty.

Good luck with your channel, I may try to watch some videos from time to time.

Also maybe the longer videos could be more intimidating to possible viewers as it would take longer to get through the video. It may be more effective once you establish more of a viewership, but it could just be your style.

• Thanks 2

Wow thanks so much for the long review, I really appreciate you taking the time to put in so much effort.

1. You're right about the live streaming aspect of it. Creativity isn't my greatest strength, so the reason for streaming is 2-fold. I was hoping to get a few comments while playing which would help generate conversations and keep the commentary flowing. At the same time, I am very time poor, so the convenience of being able to stream and have the video automatically published to my channel afterwards is very attractive.

2. You've hit the nail on the head. Having my video 'discoverable' while streaming seems to be a major issue. I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to correct this, although for my first 3 streams (which is all I've done so far), I wasn't even aware you could add tags to a live stream (amatuer!). Hopefully now that I've discovered this at least SOMEONE might be able to find me? Haha

3. I tend to agree with you on the length of the videos. My thoughts are that for a stream, length is key...as long as you have viewers tuned in and you want them to keep watching. Not so true for the video once it gets published after the stream though. I think they're better off being much shorter. Perhaps I'll start really monitoring how many viewers I have watching my stream. If I don't have any, I'll cut it short at around 30 minutes, but if I manage to have a few watching, maybe I'll keep streaming a little longer. We'll see how we go!

4. Gaining those first few views and subscribers seems to be the hardest part, from what I can see of other's experiences. Even the non-active subscribers I feel would help somewhat, as you mentioned, even if only to show that you do have some subscribers to any new visitors to your channel, as they'd be less likely to subscribe to someone who has 1 subscriber as I do. Even if I have 10, all inactive, that might give me a little more 'credibility' when a new non-subsciber finds themselves on my channel, I'm not sure.

5. Thanks for the pick up on the typo in my latest video. I've gone and fixed that up. I see what you're saying with the 'hook' in the title. I might need to look into this. I'd like the structure of all the titles to be in the same format, but I think you're right, I might need swap in the hook to the start before the title of my series.

Again, thanks so much for taking the time to contribute. If you want to DM me the link to your channel I'll go and check it out. If you'd like me to subscribe, even if just for the reasons I mentioned in point 4, more than happy to do so.

Thanks a million.

• Thanks 1

No problem, I tend to post long replies as I guess I don't really try to condense what I am saying that much.

No need to check out my channel, thanks though.  I think I'm a bit too late though, and thanks for checking it out. There used to be a topic on the original official YouTube Creator forum before it closed which talked about how sub for sub can hurt your channel. I couldn't find it and do not really remember it, but I think it said something like how YouTube tests your videos to see how engaged your subscribers are or how much they seem to want to watch, then spreads it out and recommends it to others. Anyways, I appreciate the offer for the sub for increasing the count and stuff, but I'd prefer to try and get subscribers directly through my videos now, unlike what I did at the start of my channel. However, this is a bit different as it's a lot more genuine than a sub4sub.

Yeah, makes sense. I'd like to think of it as more of a partnership type deal! I genuinely plan on watching some of your videos and at least check out any new ones when I get notified of them. Almost as a thank you for the time you've put in. I've only been on CreatorsHub for a very short time but it feels like such a community here, feel like we've all gotta help each other out!

• Like 1

Yeah, I agree it would be good to support each other. I hope we can grow this community to even greater heights than before.

Also, I forgot to mention that your channel, and I guess also all of your videos, are hidden on restricted mode. Probably due to the age rating of the games you play, but that could possibly be taking away some views. However, the viewers of a COD: WWII should be older anyways so it might not be an issue, plus you can't really do anything about that.

Ah man, didn't know that either! That'll be because when I stream I choose what game I'm playing to make it easier for viewers to find. I guess the alternative is not selecting a game title, but again, that'll make it harder for people to find. That's a bummer!

Maybe, but to watch COD: WWII videos or livestreams, the potential viewers probably already were not in restricted mode. Hopefully it is only a minority of viewers that can't see it.

• Like 1