Leo Wattenberg

Why your monetization application got rejected and what to do about it

@Leo WattenbergThanks for this very informative post.
I wanted to ask if the following three videos that I'm going to describe, are suitable to be monetized.
1.: an english translation of a scene / trailer where I'm using just a couple of screen shots of said trailer/scene
2.: an english translation of a summary of what is going to happen in the next episode with a couple of pictures that were posted on the official site of the series on instagram
3.: a "compilation" of instastories the actors posted while being on set
none of those videos have any copyright notices, strikes or claims
If the pictures are a problem in the videos where I translate stuff, could I still upload the translation without the pictures and use some copyright free pictures?

I've already tweeted team youtube but I only got a copy paste answer.
I would really appreciate if I could get a real answer to my question, because nobody could help me.

Edited by maosat
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I must say you should consider yourself lucky you got some sort of answer from YouTube, even if it was a bot.

I've been asking a similar question in various forums and nobody seems to know the answer, because when it comes to marginal issues YouTube doesn't have a policy on it and just takes decisions on the run.

In fact, I believe that most probably you'll get a strike, not because you are wrong but because the algorithm will consider it wrong, and then, getting it reviewed by a human, so youtube can make its "on-the-run-decision", might take months specially if they tell you they won't be reviewing anything till it gets 1000 views.

I wanted to take advantage of my knowledge of another language so I could show my creations to another audience, but the risk of getting strikes for duplications due to YouTubes inability to review atypical or innovative options (those out of the box) simply put me completely off.  I don't think it's worth it.  Sorry, but those are my minus 2 cents.

On 8/29/2018 at 12:48 PM, Boss Production said:

Hi guys.

I think I got rejected by a mistake, I need someone experienced enough to tell me what should I do or what was the reason behind rejecting.

So here to begin, I upload my own content, I record with my own camera and edit videos myself. I'm doing car tutorials on my OWN car, so everything is my own, but 2 months ago I did a stupid compilation video which contained photos from google so I got demonetized due to 'duplication'. On YT forum they told me to delete that video and re-apply in 30 days, which I obviously did.

And today I got an e-mail from youtube telling me I got rejected and was unable to monetize due to DUPLICATION.

As you can check on my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcP1QZwAdrpTzuxusdreGEg

every single video is fully mine, I even recorded most of my videos about my OWN car. So why are they telling me I have a duplication issue? My videos are unique and people seems to like it and find it very helpful. Also to notice, I'm very communicative and I engage with the fans, I respond to every single question and comment, and I upload very often. 

zzzzzz.png

Can anyone review this?

• Like 1

Hi there.  I was a Youtube partner for approximately 9 years. My last payment was issued Jan 21, 2018 for CA$123.81.  Incidentally, I'm still owed CA$37.83.  Like many others, as of Feb 21, I no longer had the ability to monetize any of my videos, because my channel didn't meet the threshold of 1,000 subscribers (but it did meet the hours of watch time threshold).  When my channel recently met the subscriber threshold as well, it was re-evaluated, but re-approval for the Youtube partner programme was denied due to "Duplication."

I don't know what they're referring to.  Although I have a total of 34 videos on my channel (many are unlisted) many of which include copyrighted music, I'm fully aware that I'm unable to monetize those particular videos, and I have no intention of ever doing so, nor did I ever attempt to do so in the past.

There are only three videos on my channel that I had monetized.  They had been monetized for approximately 8 to 9 years without issue, and I would simply like to be able to re-monetize those, or at least the most popular of the three, which has had 1.6 million+ views.  And of course, additionally, in the future, I'd like to be able to monetize any new videos that I create, provided they meet the required standards obviously.  Are you possibly able to tell me what needs to be corrected so that my channel can be approved once again? Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/user/keltuc/videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IRdn_T2_Gg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiH3Da5cH6I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddz5gLIxik4

Hi... thanks a lot for posting this information. It is helpful.

Probably 8 years ago, I found a Beakman show I wanted to use for my students, so I uploaded it to my youtube channel (and forgot about it). I was monetized years ago (while that video was kept private) and others claimed copyright notices because of background music I had bought from Magnatune (which claimed to be ok for podcasting, but my podcasting server died).... anyway... I got kicked from monetization this year with the policy change... I didn't manage to get the 4k viewing hours...
I have started donig videos again and reached the limit for monetization... but I got rejected because of duplication... a couple of weeks ago, I got a message from youtube saying the beakman video was blocked worldwide as it had been found as duplicated... I deleted it prior the rejection to monetize.
Now that I got rejected I erased all the videos with copyright notice, except for one which I impugnated and I'm waiting for response... BUT! today at noon, I got the e-mail again saying my Beakman video was blocked... the same video I had already erased weeks ago. When logging into Youtube I found the video listed again, and deleted it AGAIN... with a message that I undertand the copyright notice would not be erased (?).
So, do you think I have any hopes to monetize or should I just drop the channel altogether? Will youtube rea-appear beakman's old video again in my list forever to blame me for that duplication?

Well, I know i'm not the first and will not be the last to say that everything in my channel is ok with the guidelines youtube has. The videos are mine, the music has no copyright issues, no bait clicks or whatever that is, so... Why? If something is wrong i must know what so i can fix it. The question is youtube don't tell you that. Is there a way to contact youtube? I need help because i've been working so hard for so long and it's always the same: No monetization because...

marley youtube.JPG

On 6/25/2018 at 7:37 AM, Leo Wattenberg said:

Duplication ?

If your channel is disabled for monetization because of duplication, it means that some of your content is identical with some other content on YouTube.

How to fix this?

In order to get your channel eligible for monetization again, you need to remove all duplicate content. If all your content is duplicate content, you may want to look at alternative monetization models such as Patreon or merchandise instead as deleting all your videos probably isn't going to be worth it (especially considering that you'd drop to 0 watch hours again without any videos).

@Leo Wattenberg, does deleting duplicate videos include deleting unlisted videos, and those in draft form?

On 7/2/2018 at 8:35 AM, What You Haven't Seen said:

Little did I know (until yesterday evening!) that having hundreds of public domain titles laying dormant in my video manager, as drafts from a time long in the past, could bite me. When I received the "duplication" message I was not told anything about removing content, just to keep at things and to reapply in 30 days, which I did.

I have posted well over 100 exclusive videos and my stories are routinely covered by traditional media outlets worldwide. But... the entire time I have still had hundreds of draft public domain videos sitting in my channel. I never thought to delete them; I have just been ignoring them and waiting patiently for my elusive channel re-review to finally happen / finish.

I truly appreciate your post, as last night I plowed through that content and deleted nearly 800 videos (wow), almost every one having been in draft form. While there were no copyright issues with the deleted material, I readily admit that it's pretty nice to see only my own content, and also to know where everything is!

I haven't yet heard anything about my channel's monetization... I just hope that my channel gets reviewed - even looked at - in its current state. Now that I have finally been able to identify and clean up any problematic content.

@What You Haven't Seen, has there been any update on the status of your channel? Did deleting the drafts of the duplicate videos work? If it did, this could solve the problems of some of the other people, such as Keltuc, below.

On 9/5/2018 at 5:08 PM, keltuc said:

When my channel recently met the subscriber threshold as well, it was re-evaluated, but re-approval for the Youtube partner programme was denied due to "Duplication."

I don't know what they're referring to.  Although I have a total of 34 videos on my channel (many are unlisted) many of which include copyrighted music, I'm fully aware that I'm unable to monetize those particular videos, and I have no intention of ever doing so, nor did I ever attempt to do so in the past.

There are only three videos on my channel that I had monetized. Are you possibly able to tell me what needs to be corrected so that my channel can be approved once again? Thanks!

@keltuc, depending on the answers of Leo and What You Haven't Seen, we may know what needs to be done. Maybe all the unlisted duplicate videos are what is affecting your channel. Though, I cannot tell if deleting them will fix your status, until @What You Haven't Seen or @Leo Wattenberg have some new information.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/10/2018 at 3:56 PM, AAAA said:

@keltuc, depending on the answers of Leo and What You Haven't Seen, we may know what needs to be done. Maybe all the unlisted duplicate videos are what is affecting your channel. Though, I cannot tell if deleting them will fix your status, until @What You Haven't Seen or @Leo Wattenberg have some new information.

Thanks.  I'm still confused as to what duplication they're referring to.  I have two public playlists on my channel, one for videos of my own personal train layouts set up in my home, and another for a few public performances of a dance group that I'm part of.  All of the 34 videos on my channel (both unlisted and public) were created/recorded by me. Most of my train videos have background music in them.  But I know that I cannot monetize those and have never tried to. And of course the dance performance videos have music in them, as well as other people, but again I know that I cannot monetize those either. I wish they would clarify what they mean by duplication, because if there are other videos out there on youtube that are actual duplicates of my videos, then somebody else is passing off my videos as theirs.

Previously I was able to pick and choose which videos on my channel that I wished to monetize - obviously only those few that I knew were eligible (at that time). So my other question is have they changed the rules so that every video on one's channel has to meet the monetization standard even if I only wish to monetize one out of my 34 videos?

On 6/25/2018 at 6:37 PM, Leo Wattenberg said:

If all your content is duplicate content, you may want to look at alternative monetization models such as Patreon or merchandise instead as deleting all your videos probably isn't going to be worth it (especially considering that you'd drop to 0 watch hours again without any videos).

Hi @Leo Wattenberg, please help. 
my monetization was disabled due to duplication.
I'm going to review all my videos and try to clean up my channel to meet the community guidelines and reapply after 30 days.
My question is, do I have to get additional 1,000 subscribers and 4,000 watch hours in order to get reviewed and approved?
my channel already has over 91K watch hours and 40K subscribers before I got suspended, but I might end up deleting a lot of my videos during my cleanup.

Thank you

Waiting for 5-6 months now.

I upload football videos I edit them I don't have any copyright strikes but some of my videos got deleted by content ID but they were never published.

Im sick of waiting this much I'll be in peace if they say to me no instead of keeping me waiting like this

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnM_4jWyq3_aW0_ilFeuymA this is the channel

Screenshot_2.jpg

Screenshot_3.jpg

Edited by ISUFRTV

2 hours ago, ISUFRTV said:

Waiting for 5-6 months now.

I upload football videos

You will probably be rejected for 'duplication' as most of the content I could see is not yours.

• Like 1

Hi @ Leo Wattenberg 

My channel offers educational videos for children. The first review , I received video spam error. Other kid channels that combine many previous videos make up 30 minutes, 60 minutes and their videos still appear ad and I think that is allowed. Making animation requires a lot of time and effort. I edited creating original content without duplication. Only 12 videos for nearly 2 years of my effort, please give me 15 minutes . My channel  16528 hours and 1633 sub . Thank you very much .

https://www.youtube.com/c/DBlueKidsTV 

Hi Leo Wattenberg

I edited all the videos, why secondary review my channel is still spam video error. I make educational video for children, each video is a subject and content is completely different. No duplication. No copyright infringement. I really do not understand. I'm so disappointed . Please give me an explanation. Thank you !

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by DBlue Kids TV

On 9/6/2018 at 7:27 PM, Cinthia Reyes said:

Hi... thanks a lot for posting this information. It is helpful.

Probably 8 years ago, I found a Beakman show I wanted to use for my students, so I uploaded it to my youtube channel (and forgot about it). I was monetized years ago (while that video was kept private) and others claimed copyright notices because of background music I had bought from Magnatune (which claimed to be ok for podcasting, but my podcasting server died).... anyway... I got kicked from monetization this year with the policy change... I didn't manage to get the 4k viewing hours...
I have started donig videos again and reached the limit for monetization... but I got rejected because of duplication... a couple of weeks ago, I got a message from youtube saying the beakman video was blocked worldwide as it had been found as duplicated... I deleted it prior the rejection to monetize.
Now that I got rejected I erased all the videos with copyright notice, except for one which I impugnated and I'm waiting for response... BUT! today at noon, I got the e-mail again saying my Beakman video was blocked... the same video I had already erased weeks ago. When logging into Youtube I found the video listed again, and deleted it AGAIN... with a message that I undertand the copyright notice would not be erased (?).
So, do you think I have any hopes to monetize or should I just drop the channel altogether? Will youtube rea-appear beakman's old video again in my list forever to blame me for that duplication?

So... time passed by, I reapplied and got rejected again despite of having no copyright issues listed and after deleting all videos that could be suspected by copyright...

Is there any way to have a manual review of the channel? I am creating videos of myself explaining scientific stuff, or me teaching chemical engineering...

Thanks...

Capture.JPG

copyright.JPG

18 minutes ago, Cinthia Reyes said:

Is there any way to have a manual review of the channel?

It would have been a manual review that rejected you.

• Like 1

Account status: In review

Review started. We'll email you when your channel is approved.

hello, all youtube team, help me to monetize my youtube channel "https://www.youtube.com/c/LinaLastlove" I have been on YouTube for a long time and already have 4000 hours of watch time and 1000 subscribers, until now I have not received a decision from youtube, thank you
Name: Lina Lastlove

monetisasi.JPG

monetisasi2.JPG

• Sad 1

Hi Dear Youtube Team.
I want to inform, my channel was second review and today I got youtube official mail and I read that mail I'm so sad because my channel is not approved. My channel is small music video industry Pvt.Ltd. By Mistake I Did upload other channel video but I already removed and edited that video, as well as I naver do like that mistake in future. Please I would like To Request Approved My channel. I will do hard work and develop my channel in future .
Thank You Dear Youtune Team

I am currently moving all videos with Creative Commons music to an alternate channel I have permission from 2 Sports orgs to create videos using their content im so confused if my issue is caused by the audio or the video first I got duplication now I have re uploading which seems interesting as im not re uploading the same videos just compilations of videos.

channel here if anyone has pointers https://www.youtube.com/c/KiwiFighter

• Confused 1

On 10/26/2018 at 12:02 PM, DBlue Kids TV said:

Hi Leo Wattenberg

I edited all the videos, why secondary review my channel is still spam video error. I make educational video for children, each video is a subject and content is completely different. No duplication. No copyright infringement. I really do not understand. I'm so disappointed . Please give me an explanation. Thank you !

1.jpg

2.jpg

I recommend going back to the original (updated) post and read it again, and look at your channel in the light of everything mentioned. In addition, in that post Leo indicates the purpose of the post is to educate, he is unable to help individual channels gain monetisation.

I can potentially see your channel getting flagged for "Video Spam" in light of the definition in the original post.

On 11/1/2018 at 12:20 PM, Radhika Music Pvt.Ltd. said:

Hi Dear Youtube Team.
I want to inform, my channel was second review and today I got youtube official mail and I read that mail I'm so sad because my channel is not approved. My channel is small music video industry Pvt.Ltd. By Mistake I Did upload other channel video but I already removed and edited that video, as well as I naver do like that mistake in future. Please I would like To Request Approved My channel. I will do hard work and develop my channel in future .
Thank You Dear Youtune Team

This is not "Team YouTube" it's Creatorhub.net 😉

I'd re-read the section under duplication. There is mention of a music promotion channel, which "may" apply.

On 9/27/2018 at 8:06 AM, Kabar Indonesia said:

Hi @Leo Wattenberg, please help. 
my monetization was disabled due to duplication.
I'm going to review all my videos and try to clean up my channel to meet the community guidelines and reapply after 30 days.
My question is, do I have to get additional 1,000 subscribers and 4,000 watch hours in order to get reviewed and approved?
my channel already has over 91K watch hours and 40K subscribers before I got suspended, but I might end up deleting a lot of my videos during my cleanup.

Thank you

As long as you still have the numbers when you re-apply, you'll be fine. You won't need to start from scratch.

On 9/12/2018 at 7:09 AM, keltuc said:

Thanks.  I'm still confused as to what duplication they're referring to.  I have two public playlists on my channel, one for videos of my own personal train layouts set up in my home, and another for a few public performances of a dance group that I'm part of.  All of the 34 videos on my channel (both unlisted and public) were created/recorded by me. Most of my train videos have background music in them.  But I know that I cannot monetize those and have never tried to. And of course the dance performance videos have music in them, as well as other people, but again I know that I cannot monetize those either. I wish they would clarify what they mean by duplication, because if there are other videos out there on youtube that are actual duplicates of my videos, then somebody else is passing off my videos as theirs.

Previously I was able to pick and choose which videos on my channel that I wished to monetize - obviously only those few that I knew were eligible (at that time). So my other question is have they changed the rules so that every video on one's channel has to meet the monetization standard even if I only wish to monetize one out of my 34 videos?

I believe, on my understanding of the policies presented, that your channel overall needs to be compliant with the YPP and other policies. So if "most" of your videos are not monetisable due to this broad duplication rule, then that would likely end up being a rejection again. The primary purpose of the Partner Program is monetisation, if your content if not monetisable, then logic dictates you'll be rejected.

On 9/11/2018 at 12:41 AM, CRIME SAID MARLEY said:

Well, I know i'm not the first and will not be the last to say that everything in my channel is ok with the guidelines youtube has. The videos are mine, the music has no copyright issues, no bait clicks or whatever that is, so... Why? If something is wrong i must know what so i can fix it. The question is youtube don't tell you that. Is there a way to contact youtube? I need help because i've been working so hard for so long and it's always the same: No monetization because...

marley youtube.JPG

Click on the Monetisation tab. What does it say?

• Like 1

Hi,

@Leo Wattenberg Thank you for this very informative post.

Do you - or anyone else - have any suggestions on what to do in this situation:

• I filmed a video of my wife and daughter in a monster carrousel
    Video was not edited in any way and has no music on it.
  • Video was uploaded to Youtube (13 YO Daughters channel) as a simple test on how to upload a video to a Youtube channel. Video has never been submitted anywhere else by us.
  • A year ago we could see, that the video at that time had more than 2 million views and the channel more than 15K subscribers. We then decided to apply for monetization in December 2017. The channel met ALL listed requirements.
  • In August 2018 (!) we got rejected monetization because of "Duplication" - still having only one video on channel. 
  • In October I edited the metadata for the video with information from original file and I also uploaded more videoes of the same type (videoes with monster carrousels with and without family members). After adding more content, I re-applied for monetization.
  • This week I got the second rejection. Still saying "Duplication".

The video now has more than 13.4 million views and the channel more than 38K subscribers.

When googling my video, I can see, that it has been uploaded on a lot of websites, most of them linking to our original video.

Link to video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t3NstOLB1w&t=308s
(wife and daughter are sitting as number 4 and 5 from left - in beginning of video)

Any suggestions on how to get Youtube recognizing the very popular video as mine (and not just a duplicate)? Any suggestion will be highly appreciated. 

I do of course have proof (E.g. Original video and also photos of Wife and Daughter taken the same day in the same amusement park).

BR

Peter

Hi There,

Today My another channel was demonitised, saying reused content but all music are mine created from scratch and I can prove this with all the evidences.

Is there a way to sort this out or do you actually find anything wrong with my videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSESBy21jWtUevR1QIl-Raw

Please advice.

Thank you