Sign in to follow this  
Leo Wattenberg

How to get your first subscribers

Moin. 

You may have followed my guide to becoming a YouTuber, and now are in a position where it seems like you have everything down, yet people still don't watch your stuff. So how do you attract people to your channel?

• Show your friends and family your videos. It may feel awkward, but only this group will watch your videos simply because they like you. Everyone else you'll have to convince with interesting topics and quality. 
  • Promote your content. This is a double-edged sword; while effective promotion can expose you to a lot of potential new subscribers, there are a lot of places where you'll just waste time and money. 
    • There may be forums covering the same topic your video is about where you can share your video effectively. Note:
      • Don't just come in, post your link and leave. Try to understand the dynamics and rules of the forum before posting, many forums don't really want to see certain video content, especially in gaming where making Let's Play/walkthrough/funny moment videos is trivial.
      • Avoid any place that is aimed at creators. If it says anything about "self-promotion", "creators" or "YouTubers", your audience, viewers, are unlikely to be found there. Posting your video to these places is a waste of time at best. 
    • Buy ads. Note:
      • If you're running a video ad, don't just use a regular video of yours as that would just result in a bunch of views with 0 interaction and 0 new subscribers. Ads need a clear call to action.
      • The targeting in ad software can be quite tricky and result in you spending a lot of money on an audience that really isn't interested in what you make. 
  • Befriend other YouTubers, aka "Hustle & Heart". This can be done by leaving thoughtful comments on their videos, subscribing to them and such. The difference between this and aforementioned self-promotion is that you don't say "check out my channel" in those comments, instead, you hope that the other YouTuber notices your comments and returns the favor without asking. Being upfront about that you're just doing this to get the channel may just poison this relationship from the start. Also, sub4sub, as well as posting the same message to a lot of people, can get your channel terminated, so don't do that either. I personally dislike this method as it feels manipulative and takes a lot of time – time you could invest into optimizing your channel instead. Speaking of which:
  • Continue optimizing your channel. There almost certainly are more things you can improve on your channel; you may want to check out the checklist below. The more optimized the channel, the more likely it is your video will show up in search results, and then the viewers come on their own.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the post and advice! I like your "Hustle and Heart" point, something I've always done with different channels I've genuinely liked. I would definitely like to get more into collaborating with other YouTubers, just seems hard with my type of channel and where I'm living ?