Sign in to follow this  
Leo Wattenberg

Using Hashtags to your advantage

Moin.

YouTube has supported hashtags for a while now, but only recently they've also added the hashtags above the title. In other words, now is the time to start using them. But how?

Hashtags effectively are a less abuseable and more useful version of regular tags: You can get the first 3 you place in your description above the title, and you can have up to 15 in total. Hashtags can be searched for, the SERP shows 3 "top results" and then the latest videos with the hashtag. If you have more than 15 hashtags, your video won't show up on the hashtag results. 

As such, one of the prime usages for hashtags are events that have a agreed-upon hashtag: While the event is happening, people may be searching for that hashtag precisely, and regardless if you are large or small, you'll show up on the first page for the particular hashtag - for some time, at least. This means that if you want to get found via hashtags, the publish time absolutely matters: You want to publish your video just before the largest portion of audience target audience is going to start searching for the hashtag. 

Another usage is basically a more "trendy" form of the online newspaper subheadings. Where the newspaper would do something like: "Drug Epidemic in America: An Overdose of Greed", on YouTube, you can title your video "An overdose of greed" and have #drug #epidemic #america as hashtags in the description. Note that your hashtags can be anywhere in the description and still show up above the title, so you don't need to place them in the important lines (ie the 3 lines that show up above the fold), and also note that the hashtags will not show up in search results/recommendations. So you may need to repeat your hashtags in the thumbnail (though not necessarily with the # sign). 

One thing you should be aware of is that marking a single sponsored link in the description as #ad will mark your entire video as #ad (if it's far enough up anyways). If you don't want that to happen on your video, use a different mark instead. I personally like doing * and ** next to the links and then doing a "* denotes sponsored link, ** denotes affiliate links" further down. But keep in mind that the rules how to mark sponsored content are not set by me or by YouTube, but by national regulators. If in doubt, ask them. 

You can set hashtags in titles, but that's typically not worthwhile. Hashtags are always blue, so if you put one in the title, there will be a huge blue #thing screaming "click me" right in the title. Having hashtags in the description will place much smaller hashtags above the title, in a size more similar to the "published on <date>" line below the channel name. 

Hashtags vs regular tags

With YouTube gradually reducing visibility of tags over the past years and increasing visibility of hashtags, the direction YouTube is headed is clear: You aren't supposed to care about tags anymore. Tags already have little to no effect on your SEO performance, and YouTube recommend to not spend more than a minute or two on tags as they only are used for a brief period of time when YouTube still is figuring out what the video is about based on title, video, captions and description. 

I personally expect YouTube to first move tags to the "advanced settings" tab in your video settings and eventually removing them altogether, together with the video categories, and hashtags becoming a core part of their upcoming "explore" functionality. If YouTubers don't abuse the hashtags as much, that is. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've seen the blue hash tags on peoples' videos and was wondering if that was a special feature for those with higher sub counts. I just tested it, and sure enough, it works! Very cool. I'll have to see about going through a lot of my videos and adding these (hopefully effectively).