Sign in to follow this  
Leo Wattenberg

Don't use social media to promote your channel

Moin. 

I often see people saying "I'm promoting my videos on Twitter/Facebook/..., but still don't get any views". And then I look at their twitter accounts and see a link dump, nay, link landfill. This isn't using social media, this is borderline spam. And nobody likes to subscribe to spam.

Effective marketing is hard, which is why companies have huge marketing departments that sometimes are even larger than the actual production department. But even a small creator can do better than dumping links on social media. 

Instead, use your social media accounts in a way that gives them a reason to exist on their own. Use twitter to share quick thoughts, Instagram for behind-the-scenes content, reddit to connect with other people that share your interest. Or do it differently, either way, your social media account on its own should be interesting enough for people to follow you even if they don't know about your other content. 

In other words, you and your brand need to be in the center of attention. Not the content of another platform. 

social media brand.jpg

(slighly older illustration, I know)

This doesn't mean however that you should throw cross-posting and IFTTT out the window. Also sharing links to your content somewhere else is fine, it just shouldn't be the primary content of the account. 

Operating multiple social media accounts this way takes time, obviously. Which is why you don't need to be everywhere, on every platform, just the ones that make sense for you.

• Like 1