Chris Plays Games

I am Chris Plays Games, YouTube creator for more than 10 years

Hi all,

I'm Christopher Schmidt, also known as Chris Plays Games. I've been uploading videos to YouTube for more than ten years, on a variety of topics -- from technical demos to gameplay content, from drone content to politics to tech how-tos. My day job is as a software developer, and I've dabbled in a variety of technical topics on YouTube, from deconstructing NES music to using open source GIS software to working in Scala to create automated game-playing AIs.

I've gone through a lot in my time on the platform: I have experience with things like viral video licensing, bogus Content ID claims, crowd funding via Patreon and YouTube's on-platform tools, live streaming, and more... though mostly these days I just live stream games for fun with a small community. I want to help share the things I know, and help build tools on this platform to help creators connect with other creators. I think that there is more creativity out there on YouTube than most of us will ever find, and I hope that we can help each other find that, and improve our overall success together.

Thanks to the folks who set up this alternative to the Creator Community!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Chris Plays Games said:

create automated game-playing AIs

giphy.gif

Scalatron is a cool demo environment which makes it simple to build a limited bot in an "AI" environment; though of course, there's nothing 'intelligent' about a bunch of heuristics used to seek out to destroy your enemy bots, that's just run of the mill programming :) But you can check out the Scalatron project for more; it's a good way for a programmer to play in a new language, and also have fun! I published some video results of my experiments years ago at this point :)

1 hour ago, ericparker said:

Awesome, great to see everyone from the subreddit and creator community joining.

Which subreddit?

Many folks post in the "YouTube" subreddit (r/youtube), though it's mostly just a spot where people can yell at YouTube (and sometimes the people who work for YouTube can help improve things slightly.)

• Like 1

Hey Chris/CPG -- welcome to the Hub! Also glad to see another active participant from r/youtube, but I too am hoping that things can be more constructive and less rant-y here.